Development-Grant Writer (Position)
Full time position flexible.
REPORTING STRUCTURE: Reports to T.E.J.A.S. Director.
Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services (T.e.j.a.s) is seeking a Development | Grant
Writer to help increase and diversify our revenue sources to meet the great need for our work in
the State of Texas. Reporting to the Director. That will support our efforts to reach new donors
and retaining existing ones and play an important role in our foundation cultivation and
stewardship. This position has the possibility for growth over time. It will also provide significant
exposure to a dynamic range of fundraising work, including creating materials for individual
The ideal candidate will have at least some development writing experience, and basic knowledge
of the issues and concepts that relate to the environmental justice field. They will be able to handle
a high volume of writing projects in a variety of styles and formats and demonstrate mastery of a
range of concepts and issues related to environmental justice. The Development Writer will also
be called on to support the team, such as support with fundraising and cultivation events. But the
bulk of their day-to-day activities will be as described in the below duties and responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare proposals and reports for foundations, government agencies
- Prospect potential individual donors and institutional funders
- Prepare preparatory briefs for leadership staff ahead of meetings with donors
- Work with Director and program staff to develop logic models and other proposal materials
- Create stewardship and solicitation materials for individual donors
- Create appeal letters and email/social media appeals
- Track progress on grant proposals and reports
- Interact and communicate with donors and foundation staff to develop proposals and provide
updates on progress
- Support storytelling efforts on success stories, in coordination with Communications and
program staff - Be a supportive and collaborative teammate, including by participating in event
Necessary skills and attributes:
- Strong writing skills, with an ability to adapt to a range of genres and media (grant proposal
and reports, fundraising letters, donor stewardship materials, etc., social media posts, etc.)
- Attention to detail, including excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines while working on multiple
- Ability to collaborate with staff ranging from Director to entry level, as well as coalition
- A commitment to racial and environmental justice
- Self-starter: because the purpose is to build our portfolios of institutional and individual
funders, we will ask the Development Writer to be entrepreneurial (with supervision and
support) in seeking out new sources of potential funding and developing proposals
- Experience with writing on at least some of the relevant concepts and topics: climate, plastic
pollution, energy, social justice, racial justice, community organizing, and environmental health
Pluses (these skills are not essential, but would strengthen an applicant’s candidacy when
combined with the necessary skills above)
- Experience with design software, such as Acrobat or Canva - Experience working with a
- First-hand experience with storytelling projects
- Proficiency in Spanish (written and spoken) is preferable.
- Experience working at grassroots and/or environmental organization - Experience developing
This is a Full-Time position, with some evening or weekend work schedules based on need.
Occasional travel may be required.
SALARY: ($38, 400 - $42,240)
Pay: Depends on experience.
Contact: Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com.
Title the subject line, “ Development | Grant Writer ”
Tejas is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of
color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ communities.